I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hillbilly Deluxe

There's this song on country radio(yes, I listen to country sometimes) called "Hillbilly Deluxe" by none other than a band called Brooks & Dunn, oh you've heard of them?  Well, once again my family pulled out all the stops to live up to the hillbilly name.
My story goes like this: We went camping, very backwoods camping.  No water.  No cell reception.  Just outhouses and beach.  What more could you want?  The area is beautiful.  Gods country.  Untouched.  We had to make our way from the boat launch through a short thourofair (sp?) and up the the rest of the lake, the "untouched" part.  We took the fishing boat from our previous Hillbilly Post and our canoe.  My mom and I were going to paddle up, with my dad motoring up on his boat.  Unfortunately his motor failed.  Big fail.  So instead, he decided to use his trolling motor that moves about 0.7 mph to the upper area.  My mom and I took off, sayanara!  See you next year, Dad!
Right about as we got to the top of the thourofair my dad shows up getting pulled by a boat full of rough looking (I know that's judgy) men.  They were so nice to pull him up, and not only that but they supplied us with a couple of special drinks:)
We spend 4 nights and 5 days lounging on the beach, doing absolutely nothing.  It was great.  In the back of our heads though we were thinking...how are we going to get back down?  On the day we were packing up to leave it was windy.  Very windy.  We had planned to connect the fishing boat to the canoe and paddle down, toeing the fishing boat on the canoe.  Now don't you think there is something wrong with this picture?  Again, in hillbilly fashion, we looked so ridiculous with our piles of camping gear, the dirt on our faces, and our broken motor that a beautiful Cobalt boat with the rich and famous in it offered to help us.

You can see our "Knight in Shining Boat" at the base of the motor 

The man, the legend
We got to the lower part of the lake and the wind was crazy.  I thought at any moment my dad would be thrown over with the canoe as my mom and I held steady in the fishing boat.  Not only that but our new friends, looking as ridiculous as we did were snapping photos of us the whole ride.  You know they posted them on Facebook with a comment like: "Hey look at these schmucks we helped out today."  You may think to yourself, if that was me I'd be so embarrassed.  Well no, I just don't get embarrassed anymore.  I can't, or I'd never have nearly as much fun as I do.

2 comments:

Julie said...

hahaha...hillbilly Dave. looks like you guys had fun despite your boating misadventures! :)

~Sue said...

Smiling...BigTime!