I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Auction

Last week I was home for a whole 6 days.  It was great.  I have so much to tell you, but right now I want to tell you about the auction.....
On Saturday the "parentals" and I drove two hours to go to a 3-family estate sale auction.  My parents have always been into gathering old things that other people have used, but bless their hearts, they have sorta turned me on to it.  It's pretty exciting when you get something that you think is really neat for only a dime! Besides I just wanted to spend time with them so what better way to do it than to fight other people for the highest price of junk?!!
When we drove up and parked I could tell it was a rough crowd.  The only cars there were pick-ups and flatbed trailers, meant to haul all their loot home.  Cowboy hats, wranglers, and tobacco surrounded me.  There were tons of boxes full of certain kitchen things, and of course my mother started bidding.  She would bid, then shrug her shoulders as if to say, "oh heck."  It was crazy how competitive these little old ladies would get.

 Then my dad started bidding....He had a special little way of bidding, so as not to let other bidders know who was bidding.  He would look at the auctioneer and wink, or tap his cowboy hat.  So official.

We bought a pretty much new lawn mower.....

Then we bought a 12 ft fishing boat.....

Then a snow blower.....

Then a refrigerator....

Then a portable air conditioner....

Some more junk boxes....


Then fishing gear (you know, for the boat..)

Needless to say, we scored on some pretty cheap items that my parents have very specific purposes for and on the way home we looked like The Beverly Hillbillies!  Never a dull moment with my parents.  If you are ever bored, call my parents up and they will show you a good time!!


 PS- I saw one thing I really wanted.  This vintage lamp shade.  It was in a box full of junk and of course the auctioneer sold it with two other boxes of junk.  So for the one thing you want, you get 50 items of crap that is completely worthless, at least in my eyes.  My mother put a bid of $5 in for me, then this old lady ended up getting it for $12.50 dollars!!!  So we approached her about he lamp shade, and by-golly I bought it from her for a dollar!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Awesome...love it. And I love the pic of your dad with his boots, hat and Eags sweatshirt. Classic. :)

CUTE lampshade! Nice work.

~Sue said...

Good time with your parentals, I can see. I am jealous of the auction, especially with your description of the fun

melissa said...

Hi Kelsy, I just stumbled upon your blog through a google search looking for a Life Is Good nursing t-shirt!! It must be fate! So I read a couple of your posts and then before I know it, I had read every post!! So anyway, I am a new nursing student down here in Georgia. I recently moved from Fairbanks, Alaska and deeply regret it and yearn for every moment I once had there. So I saw in one post where you said you were boring. NO! Everything I read was so interesting, especially since I have no clinical experience. Keep up the blog! I will be following.
~~Melissa~~