I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Friday, June 15, 2012

I cured her

WARNING: If your not really into all my nursing stories, stop here.  I won't take offense to it, but you may.  You all know nurses have to do some nasty stuff, but if you can't deal with that, it's okay, but read no further.

She was a stubborn one.  From another country.  Had the sweetest little accent.  I pulled out about as much as my 5th grade lesson in German could handle, but all I remembered was "I am hungry" Isch bin hungrick!  You can tell what I care about in life.
She was so uncomfortable.  Painful, but like I said, stubborn and would not take pain pills.  Blood pressure was sky high.  Cranky.  Irritable.  She kept asking for the bedpan, saying she needed to make a bowel movement.  Okay, sure, we can do that.  Until she started calling every 15 minutes for the bedpan and never having results.  I thought, this is enough.  I didn't have any bowel meds for her so I coaxed my charge nurse into writing an order for one.  She has enough rapport with the docs, (because she's worked there for 129 years, practically, okay maybe I'm over exaggerating) that she can get away with that, where if I randomly wrote an order for a suppository, someone might get peeved.  I then talked said patient into letting me give her the suppository.  It was not hard to do.  She wanted results.  One and done.  Then I explained you have to hold it in to get results, as long as you can.  Okay, okay, she said.
One hour later, results.  Good results.  Blood pressure came down to normal range, minimal pain, and she was smiling, talking to me about german sausage.

All in a days work.

*I was going to post a picture of a suppository for you to see, but decided against it.  This is a rated PG blog (most of the time)!

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are a great nurse! I bet she was very grateful. Thanks for doing what you do (I couldn't!).