I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Thursday, November 22, 2012

thankful

Yes. Today I am thankful.  I want to be thankful every day.  Every breath I take.  Every step I skip.  Every touch of the tips of my fingers.
I am thankful for the opportunity to be the person I am.  To embrace myself.  To love.  To care.  To show the love of Christ in me.
I'm thankful for my God.  For His grace that flows freely when I don't deserve.  For His mercy in the morning.  For His sacrifice.
I'm thankful for those who share my DNA.  They know me completely.  Their heart is my heart.  They listen.  They offer.  They are.
I'm thankful for my friend who battled cancer this year and came out victorious.  She showed me power in weakness and has faced the struggle with her head held high and her shield at the ready.
I'm thankful for broccoli cheese casserole, which is a Thanksgiving staple at home.  Though I may not be celebrating with my immediate family, that casserole is the only reminder I will need to know that we are all together by the fact that we will all be eating broccoli cheese casserole today.
I'm thankful for my patient who is heavily addicted to meth.  She taught me the meaning of patience when combing the rat's nest from her hair and that all humans need love, regardless of their choices.  Something I must be reminded of every day.
I'm thankful for friends.  My people.  They have taught me to listen, to offer, and to be open to new things.  I am thankful to have people who will back me up.
I'm thankful for the mountain I climb quite frequently when weather permits.  I love that trail.  I breath in deep with each stride and remind myself that I am alive.  And when I get to the top and sit on that familiar bench looking out on God's beauty, I know I'm where I want to be.
I'm thankful for my Grandparents.  We lost them quite recently and it still hurts to think they'll never see me get married or meet my children, yet I'm so thankful for who they were.  They are why my mother loves intensely and why my father wears his 'cowboy' proud.  Their legacy lives on in all of us.

There are so may things to be thankful for on this day.  May it be something we think of year round. Happy Thanksgiving.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments:

Amy... said...

You are a good one, Kelsy B! We are so blessed to call you "family" and I continue to love who God is shaping you to be. Love you!

Kelsey said...

You have such a beautiful spirit, Kelsy B. I have no doubt that God reaches people through your gentle touch and tender heart :)