I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Monday, October 22, 2012

when words aren't enough

Sometimes, you just don't know what to say.  Sometimes, it's easier to make a joke.  Sometimes, you feel as if you should fill the awkward silence.  There's situations in all our lives where things just don't go as planned.  A failure.  Huge disappointment.  A death.  The end of a marriage. The loss of a child.  We don't know what to say.  How to react.  How to support.
I've found, for me, it's easiest to say nothing at all.  My theory is, "When you don't know what to say, say nothing."  Often all that is needed is a soft touch, someone to sit by, or just your presence.  You may just find, that's all that was needed in the first place.  No need to find some thoughtful insight or to share your wisdom, just be there.  Be present.
Just a few things I'm learning lately.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I'm sure these past two weeks have provided you with more moments like this than you ever wanted. I'm sorry about your sweet grandparents :( But if I know Kelsy, your presence alone brings comfort and joy to so many people :)

Amy... said...

Thinking of you and your family. Love you all <3