I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Friday, October 5, 2012

Full Moon

Some of you may already know, but last Saturday was  a full moon.  I know, it's almost been a full week, and I'm just now getting around to writing about it.  In case you didn't know, people get crazy on a full moon.  This is a real phenomenon, trust me.  If you don't believe me, just hang out in the ER on a full moon and you'll understand.
So my story goes like this:  10 patients on our floor for the weekend, 6 of the 10 confused.  This can lead to some very sweetly entertaining moments, but in the end can turn out to be quite sad and stressful.  In order to cut down on length, I'll just give you a few snip-its of the conversations that occurred because I guess that's where most of the fun comes from.
In a double occupancy room with 2 sweet, elderly, confused patients:
Bed 2-"Hello?"
Bed 1- "Hi!"
Bed 2- "Hello?"
Bed 1- "Hi."
Bed 2- "Oh yeah, umm, I need some help in here."
Bed 1- "Well, I don't think I can help you with that because I'm in bed."
Nurse K walking in, seeing Bed 2 talking into her heart monitor as if it's a phone, says "Who are you talking to there?"
Bed 2- "Somebody...I don't know."
So cute.....
Next door, a very agitated, confused woman rested in bed.  I took care of her two nights in a row.  Night one yielded a frustrated nurse because the only communication I received from this patient was; "NO!" or "Don't!" or "Get out!"  Amidst her weak swings for my face, the choice names she had given me, and her sharp, long nails I was unshakable.  Night two I met a new women, same patient.  I woke her that second night and her response to me was this; "Well aren't you the prettiest little girl?  You are just so cute.  Really, you are."  I responded with thank you and knew, now was the time I could get any care done, so I nailed it.  I called pharmacy to send me her meds STAT, turned her, cleaned her, and even checked that her IV was still intact.  When I finished I was so proud.  Later that night, I went in to turn her to her other side, and alas, I was still in her good graces.  When she woke up she looked at me and said joyfully, "I love you."  I responded with, "Well, I love you too, now take a big deep breath for me."  She must have thought I hadn't heard what she said because she then stated again louder and with more passion, "I LOVE YOU!"  You could have heard her anywhere on my unit.  The nurses in the nurses station all started laughing, as did I, and my sweet little lady just smiled at me.
I could go on about the other great stories that come out of a full moon weekend, but for now, I leave you with these.  Hope you enjoyed.

2 comments:

Kaleena said...

"THAT'S HURTFUL!"
Joel and I are still rolling about it!! We will say it randomly and both just start laughing!! :)
Love you and so happy we got to see each other!!

~Sue said...

I get to see you soon! No full moon antics from me :)