I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You’re One of Those…

Busy week at work.  Lots of sick kiddos.  There was this one.  Little boy.  So cute.  Had such a sweet twinkle in his eyes.  I was told that he had been very cranky that day, not to take it personally.  When I walked into his room he was in bed, pacifier in mouth, watching cartoons.  I doodled around, smiling at him, marveling at the cute little smile that peeked over the top of his passy back at me.  I thought, “He’s not cranky.  Or maybe he just really likes me.”  For a moment I let myself believe I was this amazing peds nurse who could make any child love her.
Then I sat on his bed, said “Hey buddy,” as I took my stethoscope from around my neck I saw it all disintegrate before me.  He saw that I was going to be one of those people who touched him, listened to his heart, and sticks a temperature probe in his armpit all night.  The passy fell from his mouth as he opened up his mouth in hysterical sobs.  I could see his pearly whites and the back of this throat.  He rolled over so I couldn’t get to his heart to listen.  Sneaky little fella.
I could see the thoughts going through his head: “She’s one of those nurse people.  Those people who prod at me all night.  Those people that make the alarm on the IV pump go off all night.  Those people that shove purple Tylenol in my mouth while I’m sucking on my pacifier.  That’s tricky.”  Hey nurses can be tricky too.
As I closed the door to his room, I thought, “Yeah, they were right, he’s cranky.”  But man he could have fooled me there for a second.  That male species…..from a very young age, just a sweet smile can melt a girl’s heart.


On another note:
This happened today.


And last week I left a whole dozen eggs at Walmart.  My cashier thought it necessary to put my eggs in a completely different sac than the rest of my half full bags, and then set it on the other side the “sac-filling-station.”  No wonder I left it.  Is it just me, or am I on a roll with eggs?

2 comments:

Julie said...

That egg picture still makes me laugh. I hate it when I forget stuff at the store or it gets hidden from me...what I really wonder is if I'm losing my mind. :)

anymommy said...

Oh I could just picture Quinn behaving exactly like that little boy. And he'll melt your heart too.