I'm Kelsy. I'm a nurse. I work the night shift on a crazy surgical unit and you would not believe the stuff that happens when sick people sleep. To hear more about that and other stories read on....

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Winter's Coming On.....

Brrr, it's chilly here. I woke up this morning to a fresh dusting of snow on the mountains, and it seems like it's headed here this afternoon. What was I thinking moving to a place where winter exists for half the year? Yesterday it was so gloomy and rainy out, I had no motivation. No joke, I laid on the couch all day, in my pajamas, watching "The Office, " reruns, crocheted hats and ate Top Ramen. Yikes, it's going to be a long winter.
Luckily, I love soup! Holla! Who loves soup!? ME!! La
st week I made this amazing pumpkin chili that my friend Amy makes, it is so good. You can find it here.
Then, this week I tried a new recipe. Aren't you proud mama! This soup hits the spot. My friend Steph made it for me when I babysat for her, and pretty much anything she makes is delish, but this is so good!
Here's the recipe:
White Bean Chicken and Chili Soup
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Onions, finely diced
4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground Cumin
1 large pinch Cayenne (optional)
1 large pinch Allspice
2 (4oz) cans chopped Green Chilies
2 Lbs, skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
(cooked to your liking before adding then to soup, or you can put them in uncooked :)
4 C. chicken broth (32 oz. box)
3 (15oz) cans White Beans (I prefer Cannelini) (2 drained, 1 with liquid)
1 (16oz) bag Frozen Corn
8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-
heat and saute onions until translucent, about 5 min. Stir in the garlic, spices, and chilies and saute for another minute. Add diced chicken and broth, and simmer until the chicken is opaque(if you used raw chicken), about 15 minutes. Add beans, corn and half the cheese and simmer another 15 min. Taste for salt, and serve with remaining cheese to sprinkle on top. Yummy!

Gloomy, gloomy weather.....
But look what to have!!!! I purchased this the other day. It has a remote!!! In other words I can turn it on to blow heat right at me without ever moving! I love my space heater!! And yes, people, it says 61 degrees!!!

PS- It's still cold in my house though. Did you see that 61 degrees on my little heater?! I wish I had a snuggie.

3 comments:

Rhoda said...

haha! i want to buy you a snuggie now! Those things look so AWESOME! :) i made that pumpkin chili last weekend and it was LOVELY :). Keep up the good work, my little chef-girl-rd.

Julie said...

I will totally partner with Rho to get you a snuggie...I'm thinking you need the leopard print one. You could even wear it to walmart.

Going to have to try this recipe although since I don't like beans, I may have to figure out a way to make it with less beans. :)

Rhoda said...

I was thinking she needs the zebra print snuggie :)haha - go us! Kelsy is totally getting a snuggie